The summer holidays are drawing near so I thought I’d put together some top tips for travelling with children. Travelling with children can be super stressful but if you prepare yourself it can be a whole lot of fun 🙂
- We like to break up travelling wherever possible so if we were flying out of the country then we would drive to the airport and stay overnight before our morning flight. You can usually get hotel and parking packages which work out really good value for money.
- Let the kids pack a bag with their favourite books and games in for the flight – I always check what they’ve put in so we don’t end up lugging heavy books around with us. Tablets are wonderful for keeping children entertained. We also make sure they have a pair of headphones each so they can get on with playing games, watching films etc without causing any noise irritation to other passengers.
- I always wrap a comic and an activity book up and let them open it on the flight, that way they feel very excited about getting a little present and mine always love to do activity books.
- Take baby wipes… wherever there are children (and husbands) there is always mess so these are my MUST HAVE travel accessory! I don’t leave the house without a pack nowadays.
- Lots of snacks. I always try to pack something a little different so it’s not the same old boring packet of raisins. I always avoid chocolate as mine tend to cover themselves in it.
- While flying we always love to talk about what we are going to do on holiday, Boo always writes a list of everything she’d liked to see and do… this always keeps her happy and gets her excited!
- My daughter gets really painful ears when taking off so I always take some boiled sweets for her to suck on, but for babies/toddlers a bottle/sippy cup or dummy will help.
- Allow yourselves plenty of time, there’s no point trying to rush around with kids so just plan in some extra time to get wherever you need to get to. It will be much less stressful if you know you don’t have to rush.
- Make sure you have insurance! It really is better to be safe than sorry 🙂
- Don’t forget sunscreen and insect repellent!
Wherever you go and whatever you get up to this summer I hope you have an amazing time 🙂
Let us know your favourite tips for travelling with kids in the comment section xx